Monday 14 October 2019

BUSINESS IS BUSINESS.


The Following document is transcribed as far as possible:

"THE ACTING UNDER SECRETARY (contd.)

the subject this morning and attach herewith his offer. The price asked is £10 per day, Government to find coal and water. This, I think, should be reduced to £9.

However, I should be glad if you would at once place this before the Hon. the Premier and advise me what action it to be taken.

In order to save time I am forwarding this file by special messenger and on receipt of instructions by telephone will take the necessary action to carry out these proposals.

Chief Harbor Master."    28 march, 1912.

Chief Harbor Master was Captain Irvine who added the following interesting thought:

"I to P.

Arrange with ship to coal "Una" at Geraldton. It is strange how the shipping Co's fix rates even when in the interests of shipping itself - human life not counted.

J.I.     (J Irvine).

Indeed!!


courtesy State Records Office, Western Australia, series 2357, cons 066

No comments:

Post a Comment